Negative Ranking Factors on Google… and How to Avoid Them!
Have you noticed that your website has been slipping quietly down Google’s pages recently? If so, there’s likely to be a reason or two behind it, and it’s imperative that you don’t ignore the situation.
Of course, Google’s algorithms are a closely guarded secret. However, thanks to the efforts of dedicated SEO specialists (such as the Shark Bait Studios team, of course) – there are certain factors that we know affect Google ranking results.
Here’s a low-down of the top ‘Google crimes’ your site can commit. If you know you’re guilty of any of them, it’s time to ‘fess up and change your ways… or risk losing online visibility in a big way!
The Worst Negative Ranking Factors
1. Duplicate content. It takes a lot of effort to create content for your site. Trust us, our copywriting team can testify this for a fact. As a result, it’s tempting to simply find a similar site, then cut and paste their content into your own. Please don’t ever do this. Not only is it unethical practice, but Google will rank your site poorly as a result.
2. Low quality content. So, you can’t cut and paste the content… how about hiring someone to write content really cheaply for you instead? They’re only charging £5 per 500 words, that shouldn’t break the bank, should it? If you’re incredibly lucky, you might find a rookie copywriter, who is just starting out and is happy to produce decent content for a meagre budget. However, it’s far more likely you’ll find someone who will produce a lot of poorly written drivel, which won’t help your ranking at all.
3. Not optimised. Hey, your site looks great on a desktop, which is excellent. But how does it look on a tablet? How does the content translate when it’s viewed on a smartphone? The vast majority of internet users actually start their browsing journey on a mobile device, so your site needs to be fully responsive, regardless of the screen size.
4. Too much advertising. Nobody wants to see a page full of advertising when they arrive at a site. Google is aware of this, so it penalises companies that plaster banner ads all over their pages. It might seem like an effective way to broadcast your products and services, but actually, in the long-run, it won’t do your business any good.
5. Unnatural links. Links to your site are good – if they’re good links, from high quality, authority sites. If they’re meaningless links from appalling sites, they’ll actually have an adverse effect on your ranking. As a result – don’t be tempted to buy links from anyone – you’ll not only be wasting your money, you could be damaging your company in the process.
Working Your Way Up Google’s Ranks
If you’re keen to get your website seen in all the right places, there’s only one way to do this, and this is through proper search engine optimisation. Shark Bait Studios team of web developers, designers, copywriters and social media experts know how to boost your online visibility, without ruining your online reputation.
To find out more, simply call 01748 900321 today.