How to Create the Perfect Home Page
Most people, when visiting your website, will view your home page. Indeed, for a large percentage of your visitors, it will be the first page they see – and they’ll make an immediate judgement of your business, based on its appearance.
It’s important to make sure that your home page is firing on all cylinders, and is primed to grab attention for all the right reasons. Here’s a few ways you can make that happen.
Creating an Amazing Home Page
You only have a few short seconds to attract your audience, so it’s a good idea to create a home page that’s high-impact and visually impressive.
· Bold central image. Generally speaking, a large, dynamic image works better than several smaller images on your home page. The image should encompass what’s fantastic about your company, and should convey your ethos too. Avoid stock images and make sure the image is of a high quality. If necessary, hire a professional photographer to help (particularly if you’re showcasing any products!).
· Ditch the clutter. Home pages should be clean and accessible. Instead of trying to cram all the information on this initial page, use a clear navigation bar to direct visitors to the relevant pages. Don’t force them to scroll down too far either – ideally, your home page should be concise, not rambling!
· Keep content to a minimum. Unless your company has need for it, keep written content to a minimum on your home page. Let your visual content do the talking instead.
· Choose colours wisely. A lot has been written about the psychology of colours in website design. Red is often used to create a sense of anticipation and immediacy – but be warned, it’s also associated with danger and risk. Green is unsurprisingly popular with natural, eco-friendly organisations. Monochromatic colour schemes convey a sense of professionalism, but can look a little cold. Your web designer will be able to advise you on choosing the right palette.
· Make it clear. Your home page should be able to explain what you do in a matter of seconds. Avoid obscure text, random pop-up boxes or ambiguous images – or indeed anything that will muddle your company message.
· Drive visitors onwards. Use navigation wisely to direct visitors through to the pages you want them to visit. For example, a cleverly positioned click-through box, detailing your latest product, will encourage them to visit the page in question (and hopefully buy). Likewise, a banner, advertising your sale, should get people clicking through to find some bargains!
· Reassurance. Ideally, your home page should also reassure visitors about your credentials and prove your trustworthiness. Adding a few testimonials to this page is never a bad idea, for example.
Web Designers in County Durham
If you want to freshen up your existing site or create an impressive new site from scratch, talk to the Shark Bait Studios team. We’re experts in web design, development, marketing, strategy and graphic design, and we’ll work with you to create a website that delivers results for your business.
To find out more, simply get in touch by calling 01748 900321 today.