5 Reasons Why You Should Have a Content Management System
Do you like the idea of managing your own website? When this question is asked, people tend to shy away from the option of managing their own online content. This is mainly because website design is shrouded in mystery, and people believe it’s a highly complex process.
Whilst web design is undoubtedly not an easy task, managing your own site via a content management system is actually surprisingly easy. Here’s some information about what a CMS is, and why you should be using one.
What is a Content Management System (CMS)?
In its simplest terms, a CMS is a piece of software that stores all your website content. It’s designed in a way that enables the user to manage the content – and this includes adding or deleting, or editing. Contrary to popular belief, it doesn’t involve any coding, and doesn’t need any HTML knowledge.
Why is CMS Great for Your Company?
1. It’s easy to keep your online presence ‘on-trend’. Without a content management system, you essentially have to rely on your web designer to completely recode your site if you want to give it a significant design overhaul. And that’s a very expensive process, believe us! It’s much easier to completely change the look of your site with a CMS. You’ll need the help of your web designer if you’re planning anything major, but it will cost far less, as they won’t need to code anything.
2. You can keep content fresh. Adding new pages or blog posts is incredibly easy on a CMS. The functionality of CMSs like WordPress, Joomla and Drupal means that you can tweak layout, add photos and videos, and optimise SEO, in just a few clicks of a button. This gives you unrivalled control of your online content.
3. Want more? Get a plugin! Plugins have revolutionised the way in which websites are designed. If you want to add a testimonial page to your site, with the option to let users add their reviews – there’s a plugin for that. If you’d like a slick gallery page, showing off your latest photos – there’s a plugin for that too. In short, if you can imagine it, someone has probably created a great plugin for it. Tell your web designer what you’re looking for, and they’ll find the right plugin for your needs.
4. Everything in one place. You can manage literally everything from your content management system – and we don’t just mean your website content. You can use your CMS to send newsletters, create email campaigns (and mail them to all your contacts), store user information and much more. It makes life a lot simpler!
5. No HTML needed. Content management systems are designed to be used by anyone. This means you won’t need to know any advanced HTML. Instead, your CMS comes with WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) – which allows you to edit and add content in plain text.
Ready for a New Website?
If you’re ready to invest in a new website, complete with easy-to-use CMS, talk to Shark Bait Studios today. We’re a team of web designers and developers in County Durham, but don’t worry, we offer our services across the UK too! To find out more, simply get in touch with us on 01748 900321.